[Sls-rfm] [EXTERNAL] CCSDS RFM WG AI_20-01 (PN register convention)

Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int
Tue Sep 1 11:35:50 UTC 2020

This is to remind you all that to date only the email exchange below took
place.

Should I not receive anything else, I would assume that NO CHANGE to the
RFM WG books is acceptable.

Regards, Enrico

From:   "Sank, Victor J. (GSFC-567.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS
INC]" <victor.j.sank at nasa.gov>
To:     "Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int" <Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int>
Cc:     "Kazz, Greg J (JPL-312B)[Jet Propulsion Laboratory]"
<greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>, "Border, James S (JPL-335D)[Jet Propulsion
Laboratory]" <james.s.border at jpl.nasa.gov>, "Rodriguez, Shannon
(GSFC-5670)" <shannon.rodriguez-1 at nasa.gov>, "sls-rfm at mailman.ccsds.org"
<sls-rfm at mailman.ccsds.org>
Date:   26/06/20 16:23
Subject:        RE: [EXTERNAL] [Sls-rfm] CCSDS RFM WG AI_20-01 (PN
register convention)

Enrico,
               “you are saying we can leave 415-B and G as they are and
just remove the polynomials from REC 2.5.7B when it ends up in 401-B?”
I hesitate to just say yes to your question because there are details. REC
2.5.7B has both the diagrams and polynomials using some convention for the
numbering that is not standard in all CCSDS books (same as the 415 books
but different from the 131.0-B).  So in this case an ambiguity is avoided.
 In this particular REC, if the polynomials are not removed, I suggest
that the diagrams be shown first and stated as the normative material with
the polynomials as secondary or in a note.  The issue that this topic is
addressing is both the ambiguity of the polynomial and the lack of CCSDS
convention.
               In an ideal world we would make all the books the same and
with information that has no ambiguity.  But this is not an ideal world
and I suspect that few people would like to change the existing books.
               So what I am proposing for books currently being worked on
and for future books, we simply do not state polynomials that are
ambiguous and instead state things that are not ambiguous.  Showing a
generator diagram, or showing the full pattern, if it is short enough, are
unambiguous ways to define a pattern.   I am suggesting that going
forward, CCSDS decide on a convention for showing generator diagrams,
labeling the cells in the diagram and when desired but not required,
stating an associated polynomial according to a CCSDS convention.
Victor