[Sls-rfm] Fw: CCSDS RFM WG Spring meeting - second set of comments received on 3 DDOR inputs - revision

Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int
Mon May 4 09:28:25 UTC 2020

Dear All,

as announced, having received the latest version of the white rec 2.5.7B
with revision marks, I made a few changes to my already submitted second
set of comments.
The applicable text (including and superseding the old one) is here (I
added a note to my comment no. 1 and added new comments no. 3-6):

1. Missing recommends

REC 2.5.6B recommends (8) on power reduction, (9) on PFD and (10) on
adjacent band apply to REC 2.5.7B and shall be included.

REC 2.5.6B recommends (7) is included partly in REC 2.5.7B recommends (10)
with exception of the 30 dBHz limit that was removed. It shall be
included.

NOTE: the power level (power reduction and 30 dBHz limit) is important
because there are also even harmonics which are not modulated by the
wide-band signal.

2. Frequency bands

All tables plus several recommends (and maybe considering, not verified)
in 2.5.7B indicate X- or Ka-band. They shall be replaced by the applicable
frequency ranges as in REC 2.5.6B.

3. REC 2.5.7B recommends 1

I would recommend adding a note for implementers on how to generate a
sine-wave subcarrier multiplied by a PN code (resulting in no residual
subcarrier, etc.)

4. REC 2.5.7B Table 2.5.7B-3

The text on synthesizing frequency sidebands that are not symmetric about
the carrier shall not be in a note. It is mandatory under certain
conditions. Since REC 2.5.6B recommends 10 "that no DOR tones in the
31.3–31.8 GHz band shall be employed" has to be included as an additional
recommends in 2..5.7B, the asymmetric spectrum generation shall be at
least copied in this new recommend. In the same sentence, we could say
that this is optional at 8 GHz.

5. REC 2.5.7B, Annex 2, Informative

It would be nice to add the 3 spectrum plots as given in the explanatory
sections of SLS-RFM_20-04, especially if the comment raised by Wai on the
predistortion results in changes to the recommendation. Even without such
changes, the first spectrum plot would be a nice to have picture
(indicating chip rate, subcarrier frequency, roll-off).

6. REC 2.5.6B and REC 2.5.7B

I noted that nowhere in these two recommendations we specify that the
carrier is phase modulated by the DDOR subcarrier. I am not sure why it
has been like this for decades in 2.5.6B. If we decide to enter this in
2.5.7B, we should also do it in 2.5.6B and send both together for agency
review.

That's it for me.

Best Regards, Enrico

----- Forwarded by Enrico Vassallo/esoc/ESA on 04/05/20 10:54 -----