[Sls-rfm] ESA proposed change to pink recommendations 2.4.22A and 2.4.22B

Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int
Mon Jan 29 14:42:17 UTC 2018

Dear All,

pink recommendations 2.4.22A and 2.4.22B were agreed at the meeting in the
Hague. However, we agreed to submit them to agency review together with
the new recommendations (red) 2.4.24 and 3.1.7. Apart from minimizing the
number of polls, this decision is linked to the fact that rec 2.4.24
addresses an alternative solution for the same case and therefore some
parallelism is necessary.

AI_17-06 with due date 31 December 2017 was assigned to finalize 2.4.24. I
have not received the input from Jon to date.

In ESA we received several comments on the performance for PN ranging chip
rate to telemetry symbol rate ratios (let me call them ratios here) above
3. As you all know and as explained in considering (m), the performance
normally gets better for higher ratios. Notwithstanding this, the noting
in recommends (5) was interpreted by ESA people as a NO-GO for ratios
above 3, which is not what the noting says.
To avoid this kind of misunderstanding, Gunther has done an additional
analysis for the ratio = 10, which as you can see gets the same results as
ratio = 3 (see the new rev. 2 of the document SLS-RFM_17-02rev1 presented
in the Hague) and modified recommends (5) by replacing 3 with 10 at the
very end of this sentence (highlighted in yellow).

ESA proposes to use this version for the agency review, with the
additional changes that may be needed once the final version of 2.4.24 is
made available by Jon.

I am kindly ask you reply by February 12 in case you disagree with this
almost editorial change. In case of no reply, I assume your concurrence.

Best Regards, Enrico