[Sls-ngu] Re: Update to NGU Greenbook

Kazz, Greg J (313B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 11 17:06:13 EDT 2012

Tomaso,

Here is an explanation of the complexity column given to me by Ken Andrews, which I will factor into the text in abreviated form:

The "Memory" column gives the number of kilobits of storage required to decode the listed code.  For example, a BCH decoder in SEC mode requires only a 6-bit shift register, and so its memory is listed as 0.006 kbits.  At the other extreme, the (128,64) LDPC code requires about two bytes per graph edge (512 edges x 2 x 8 = 8192 bits) plus some memory per channel symbol, for a total of about 8.2 kbits.  Unfortunately, these complexity metrics depend on details of the implementation, so different decoders will vary somewhat.  However, these numbers give a good sense of the complexity landscape, and are useful for comparison.

Regards,

Greg