[Sls-mhdc] Final Steps for CCSDS-123.0-B-2 White Book

Raffaele.Vitulli at esa.int Raffaele.Vitulli at esa.int
Fri Mar 23 07:46:48 UTC 2018

Dear Working Group,

ESA approves submitting the White Book to CCSDS management and requesting
agency review.

R. Vitulli

From:       "Kiely, Aaron B (332B)" <aaron.b.kiely at jpl.nasa.gov>
To:         "sls-mhdc at mailman.ccsds.org" <sls-mhdc at mailman.ccsds.org>
Date:       20/03/2018 16:28
Subject:    [Sls-mhdc] Final Steps for CCSDS-123.0-B-2 White Book
Sent by:    "SLS-MHDC" <sls-mhdc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org>

Dear Working Group,

Thank you for your edits to the White Book for CCSDS-123.0-B-2.

I have uploaded to the CWE a revised draft addressing the comments received:
             CWE Private / 123.1-B / WhiteBook / 123x0w2-2108.03.19.{doc,
pdf}

Track changes are used to help you spot revisions since the last draft.
Unfortunately, all cross-references appear as though they have been changed
even though almost none of them have.

Important next steps:

(1) ***** For everyone representing a CCSDS member agency ***** please send
me an email to confirm that you approve submitting the White Book to CCSDS
management and requesting agency review. (Note that we can still make
revisions — in fact, any working group member can request a revision as part
of the agency review process — so please don’t withhold your approval over a
minor issue.)

(2) Please check to see if I have satisfactorily addressed your remarks (I
think I covered everything except for a few remarks that I’ve addressed
below, but it’s possible I missed something). Let me know if you have
suggestions for further refinements.

(3) Please note the following tentative changes and let me know your opinion:

- The Working Group has reached consensus that periodic error limit updating
will not be used under BSQ encoding order. But when band-dependent error
limits are used with BSQ encoding, there is not universal agreement on
whether error limit values will be encoded (a) with each band or (b) in the
header. The current draft assumes (b), but this is subject to change pending
further discussion.

- The general practice in the White Book has been to omit pieces of the
header in cases where we know that they’ll convey no information. Following
this practice, I have eliminated the Error Limit Update Period block when BSQ
encoding is used. This change is a nuisance for those of us who have produced
an implementation, but hopefully a minor one.

- We had defined an optional 2D supplementary information table to span the
X-Z plane. Roberto suggests that we also allow an X-Y table. This seems
reasonable, and it’s not hard to add, so I’ve revised the White Book to
define both types of 2D tables. If you have objections, let me know, it’s
easy to revert to the previous version.

Finally, there are a few remarks that I did not address in this revision.
Here’s a list of those remarks and my rationale:

- Section 2.3 “Would it be possible to also have a similar table specifying
which sections contain the “extra” material needed to upgrade 123.0 to the
new standard?”  — I think this is covered by the first column of Table 2-1.
Perhaps I’m not understanding this comment.

- Section 4.1 “If I recall it well, we reached consensus about imposing (or
at least advising) reduced mode with “narrow”. I think this is important for
implementors, so shouldn’t we say it more clearly (here or somewhere else)?”
— I’m not sure that we have the experimental data to make a strong
recommendation that narrow + full mode is bad. I’m reluctant to suggest that
this combination is a bad idea without more confidence. This might be
something we save for the Green Book.

- Section 4.7.3 (equation 37) “Should we add here a note saying that this
formulation is equal to that of equation (29) in [C2]?” I’m reluctant to
start going into details about how the new equations replace the old ones
(there are a lot of places where we might do this).

- Section 5.1: (on sample encoding order having “virtually” no impact on
compressed image size under the hybrid coder) “This is a bit vague… For the
sample adaptive encoder it is written that the coding order does not affect
coding efficiency, which is very clear. The explanation for the
block-adaptive encoder is also rather detailed.” This is a valid point.
Unfortunately, I can’t see how to make this less vague without going into a
lot more detail than is really appropriate for this overview subsection. I
suggest that we cover this in the Green Book.

Regards,
Aaron