[Sls-mhdc] Proposed Schedule Revision for CCSDS-123.1-B Action Items

Kiely, Aaron B (332B) aaron.b.kiely at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 13 23:47:54 UTC 2017

Dear Working Group,

We are behind schedule on action items related to CCSDS-123.1-B. I’d like to propose a revised schedule with the hope that we can get back on track.

As a recap, there are 3 main action items: Validate GPR (MHDC-A-1610-4), finalize compression options (-5), and draft the text of the specification (-6):

MHDC-A-1610-4: Confirm GPR Benefit (JPL)
Provide results to confirm whether compression benefit from GPR cannot be obtained simply optimizing adaptation rate of weight updates in the predictor - Due Apr 10.

MHDC-A-1610-5: Finalize Compression Options
(a): Deliver results and/or analysis on the merits, and suggested technical approach for standardization of
	(1) HVS Quantization (CNES)
	(2) Relative Error Preservation (ESA)
	(3) Modified entropy coder (JPL)
Due Jan 27 (overdue)
(b): review and provide feedback (ALL) - Due Feb 10 (overdue)

MHDC-A-1610-6: Produce Text for Specification
(a): deliver draft text for various White Book sections (as described in table MHDC-1610-T1) - (JPL, ESA, CNES) - Due Feb 24
(b): consolidate delivered text to produce revised draft White Book (JPL) - Due Mar 3
(c): review revised draft, identify remaining issues, propose resolution (ALL) - Due Spring meeting (May 9)

My proposed revision of deadlines for CCSDS-123.1-B Action Items is as follows:
MHDC-A-1610-4: Apr 10 (no change)
MHDC-A-1610-5(a): Mar 3 (was Jan 27)
MHDC-A-1610-5(b): Mar 17 (was Feb 10)
MHDC-A-1610-6(a): Mar 31 (was Feb 24)
MHDC-A-1610-6(b): Apr 10 (was Mar 3)
MHDC-A-1610-6(c): Spring meeting (no change)

This revision still provides nearly a month between 1610-6(b) and (c)

As an update on MHDC-A-1610-5(a)(3) (entropy coder simplification): Ian has come up with what appears to be an even better entropy coder simplification than what was discussed at the meeting. Discussions with colleagues here at JPL (including the hardware guy who was most involved in the entropy coder implementation) have been favorable. I’m finishing my own implementation so that I can confirm that the impact on compressed bit rates is negligible. I expect to be able to complete this action item in time for the revised deadline proposed above.

Please let me know if you think this proposed schedule revision is realistic or suggest an alternative.

Regards,
Aaron