[Sls-mhdc] Draft Agenda for San Antonio Meeting

Raffaele.Vitulli at esa.int Raffaele.Vitulli at esa.int
Tue Apr 18 13:53:18 UTC 2017

Dear Aaron,

I will attend the mornings sessions via webex. Moreover, my colleague Dave
Evans (reading in copy) from ESA would like to give a short introduction to
the WG of the
interesting work is actually doing, that is spacecraft housekeeping telemetry
compression. He needs ca. one hour via webex for his presentation. He is
available the 11th in the morning.

A brief introduction to the subject:
Spacecraft housekeeping telemetry is rarely compressed. The arguments are
usually that it is small compared to payload data or that it is too risky.
However this ignores the fact that on some missions (e.g. deep space, small
sats, telecoms) and some situations (e.g, contingencies, cruise, anomaly
investigation) there are times in which the housekeeping data is taking up
the majority (if not all) of a restricted bandwidth resource. ESA/ESOC has
been working on compressing HKTM since 2009 when we realised that RICE was
not performing well given the nature of the data. We have been through
several iterations including two previous patents but now we think the latest
version of our algorithm called POCKET+ is mature enough to be considered for
standardisation. The compression system is simple, being based on bit masking
and run length encoding and this enables it to be implemented in C in an
extremely efficient way. It can therefore be used for compressing packets as
they are generated (long packet in, short packet out) on a standard
spacecraft processor with negligible CPU or memory usage. It naturally tracks
the data redundancy in the packets without requiring configuration from the
decompressor which makes it safe to use as the on-board situation changes. We
also believe the implementation can make the telemetry link more robust
rather than less, thereby reversing the risk argument.
The reception at ESA/industry of the algorithm so far has been good but a
recurring comment is that it would be much more easy to adopt if it became a
CCSDS standard for housekeeping packet compression (as this presently does
not exist). Hence the aim of this presentation is to introduce you to the
idea and ask for the working groups advise on how to make it a standard.

 Please let me know your opinion.

R. Vitulli