[Sls-ocm] Help with OLSG Action Concerning Applicable CCSDS Protocols / Charter and resources: BOF vs. WG

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Mon Mar 11 09:41:36 EST 2013

> For new standards that have to be written,
> we were asked to estimate the amount of resources (which I
> interpreted to mean number of people and how long to write it) that
> will be required by the CCSDS.  We also have to estimate the
> resources needed to create a charter and to write a white paper on
> optical communications.  I personally believe that a white paper
> should be easy to write given the two OLSG reports written to date
> plus the work previously done by the Optical Comm SIG..

Dear Bernie,
        thank you for your input. On this special topic I would like to
add a few words.

One important document about CCSDS procedures is available here:
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/A02x1y3.pdf (CCSDS A02.1-Y-3
Organization and Processes for the Consultative Committee for Space Data
Systems. Yellow Book. Issue 3. July 2011).

There is a clear distinction between BOF and WG.
BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER groups (BOFs)perform start-up studies and gestate
technical proposals to the point where establishment of a Working Group
may be
decided.
WORKING GROUPS (WGs) are chartered to produce specific standards on a
specific schedule and within specific resource envelopes, and then go out
of business.
In CCSDS, The BOF develops the work proposal and resource estimates so
that stakeholder deliverables can be negotiated and resources can be lined
up to support the necessary development.

The document mentioned above contains an extensive description of BOFs in
section "2.3.4 BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER GROUPS" where the incipit states: <The
sole purpose of a Birds-Of-a-Feather group (BOF) is to do the necessary
work to form a WG.>
Clearly there are sections on WG's etc.

However, following this approach it appears that <to estimate the
resources needed to create a charter and to write a white paper on optical
communications.> basically coincides in estimating the resources to be
allocated to a possible OCM BOF.
Conversely, the amount of resources needed to write standards should be
identified by the BOF (at least) for the first standards to be developed
by the WG.

Clearly I also understand that OLSG will have to present material at IOAG
+ IOP.

I hoe this helps.

Regards

Gian Paolo

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.