[Sls-ocm] Help with OLSG Action Concerning Applicable CCSDS Protocols

Edwards, Bernard L. (GSFC-5600) bernard.l.edwards at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 7 13:35:55 EST 2013

Hi!

This is Bernie Edwards from NASA again.  I hope all of you are doing well.

The IOAG's Optical Link Study Group (OLSG) has tasked a small group of OLSG members to determine which CCSDS protocols might be applicable to optical communications and to identify new standards that have to be written.  For new standards that have to be written, we were asked to estimate the amount of resources (which I interpreted to mean number of people and how long to write it) that will be required by the CCSDS.  We also have to estimate the resources needed to create a charter and to write a white paper on optical communications.  I personally believe that a white paper should be easy to write given the two OLSG reports written to date plus the work previously done by the Optical Comm SIG..

As part of this action, NASA has proposed to the OLSG group that future optical communications links use the CCSDS standard AOS at the frame level.  That will ensure that all CCSDS protocols above AOS will be compatible with future optical communications links.  This is what is currently being done on NASA's Laser Communications Relay Demonstration (LCRD) project in development.  If this is accepted by the group, then the group can focus on standards needed below the frame level.

DLR and TESAT have stated that the protocol used in the TESAT flight terminal is packetized telemetry using a new frame structure ("like CCSDS but optimized").  Their frames can carry anything above the frame level, just like NASA's statement that AOS can carry any CCSDS protocol on top of AOS.  However, this would require making this an actual CCSDS standard.

I am trying to determine if there is something else being used at the frame level in an optical communications system (or something that would be proposed for a future international standard) by any of the space agencies.  I want to make sure all protocols / framing structures are considered, especially if they are in use.  If you know of something different, please let me know

Otherwise, if the small group handling this action for OLSG believes that either AOS or this CCSDS-like frame can be used, then it means that the group can just focus on the level below:

            Wavelength
            Modulation
            Coding
            Interleaving

Thanks,
Bernie

Bernard L. Edwards
Chief Communications Systems Engineer
Electrical Engineering Division (Code 560)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-8926
E-Mail:  Bernard.L.Edwards at nasa.gov<mailto:Bernard.L.Edwards at nasa.gov>

"Dream - Believe - Dare - Do"