[Sls-com] Which scenarios for CCSDS standardization?

Nicolas Perlot nicolas.perlot at dlr.de
Mon Mar 22 13:09:13 EST 2010

Dear Lasercom people,

During the next OCM meeting in Portmouth, we should agree on the 1 or 2 scenarios that deserve a standardisation effort. You may now give your opinion or comment on this process. During the last meeting in October 2009, Jean-Luc Gerner imposed the selection of the 1 or 2 most promising lasercom scenario(s), based on the shortest possible time frame for a standardisation. Thus a timeline of the application needs shall be established prior to the scenario selection.

At the moment, we believe the two most appropriate scenarios are
1) LEO downlinks
2) Mars downlinks

The reasons are that both scenarios require
- data rates higher than that offered by RF systems (more data from Earth-observation satellites or scientific Mars probes can be sent to ground)
- international cross-support for a gound-station network (to improve link availability)

Current situation: Lasercom terminals are flying on LEOs and are being developped for Mars missions.

Regards,
Nicolas Perlot

-
Nicolas Perlot, Ph.D.

German Aerospace Center (DLR)		phone: ++49/8153/281836
Institute of Communication		fax:   ++49/8153/282844
and Navigation				email: nicolas.perlot at dlr.de
Oberpfaffenhofen, P.O. Box 11 16	http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut
82234 Wessling, Germany