[Sls-ocm] New white paper version

Nicolas.Perlot at dlr.de Nicolas.Perlot at dlr.de
Sun Aug 8 22:38:13 EDT 2010

Dear Lasercom people,

A new version of the OCM’s white paper can be found here:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/SLS-OCM/Draft%20Documents/OCM_white_paper_20100809.doc
The updates concern mainly

- the current lasercom activities of the space agencies (Section 2)
- the optical communication channel (Section 3)

If you think some important activities or schedules regarding optical space comms (Section 2) are not mentioned, please let me know.

Finally, I recall the action items on JPL (Fabrizio Pollara)
1) Improvement of inputs on modulations (Section 4.4 in new document)
In particular, Figure 19 (Power efficiency vs. Bandwidth efficiency)
- What do legend abbreviations stand for?
- Justify the location of the GEO-GEO link on the graph: Why does GEO-GEO need such a good bandwidth efficiency?
2) Improvements of inputs on channel coding (Section 4.5). In particular, performance of “erasure correcting codes” should be added to “error correcting codes”.
3) JPL provides practical examples of background noise level for Mars downlink (what does 0.2 Photons/slot for M=64 PPM correspond to?). This could be added in Section 3.2. Background light.

Regards,
Nicolas Perlot