[SLS-CC] Fw: updated DVB-S2 green book -> DEADLINE FOR COMMENTS 18 FEBRUARY 2015

Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int
Fri Feb 13 18:38:28 UTC 2015

Dear Jean-Pierre,

a few high level comments from me. I have some more detailed comments on
paper, and among those a lot of editorial ones, but I don't have the time
to put them down for the time being. I would suggest that a further review
on your side
try to work on the editorial aspects as well.
My main concerns for the moment are the following:

- the document seems to be heavily built around the use of VCM/ACM. While
I agree that this will be eventually needed, I was under the impression,
after the London meeting, that it was agreed to leave this out until the
VCM Magenta Book is ready
  Now I see that VCM/ACM have been changed with "DVB-S2" VCM/ACM, but that
doesn't seem to change things.

- One of the most important things I go to Green Books for are the
performance of the standard they support. I see an effort in this sense,
under ideal conditions (AWGN), which I appreciate, but unfortunately the
reader in this case may need to go to
  a difference source (ETSI)

- On the use (or not) of pilots, I understand you plan to add some
additional figures, it would be really useful to indicate which
(reference) receiver has been considered for the simulations

- Similarly, for the results provided on the non-linear channel, it would
be useful to know the reference receiver used, as well as the assumptions
taken for the transmitter (pre-distortion?)

- Still on the non-linear channel results: what you provided is relative
to a particular mode of operating a link with VCM (or ACM). While this can
be an useful indication, I would find more useful, at this stage, to have
indication on the operating points
  for each ModCod, not necessarily assuming VCM/ACM. Again, I believe this
would give good initial estimates to potential users.

I believe we will need to discuss further at the Spring meeting.

Have a nice weekend
Massimo

Massimo Bertinelli
Communication Systems Engineer