[Sis-uce] Suggestion for CFDP (add EOF-Received Indication)

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 31 15:02:43 EST 2004

At 02:14 PM 3/31/2004 -0500, Timothy Ray wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I suggest that we:
>    1) Add an "EOF-Received" Indication to CFDP
>    2) Add an MIB parameter to enable/disable it
>        ("EOF-Received.indication required?" "yes or no")

The relevance of this tweak to the Unacknowledged CFDP Extensions may not
be obvious, but I think it is real.  By turning off Notice of Completion
issuance on receipt of EOF in Unacknowledged mode when the file is not
completely received, UCE disables delivery of the Finished indication under
these conditions.  It is possible that some CFDP implementations might
count on that indication to signal EOF arrival in Unacknowledged mode
(regardless of file delivery completeness), for purposes similar to those
Tim describes; UCE would break those implementations.  By adding an
optional EOF-Received indication we could provide a replacement source for
this information without working too hard.

I definitely DO NOT want to open the door to casual reconsideration of CFDP
specification elements in general.  But I think the UCE revisions do
arguably motivate Tim's proposed mod, and I think the impact of the change
would be modest.  Let's discuss on this list and at the UCE working group
meeting in Montreal.

Scott