[Sis-uce] Thoughts?

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:20:22 -0700

At 11:28 AM 5/22/2003 -0400, Krupiarz, Christopher wrote:
>All,
>
>The following is an exchange regarding Scott's concept that he suggested be
>forwarded to the mailing list.  I'll put my NAK comments here so that it
>doesn't get too garbled:
>
>The NAK timer would serve pretty much the same thing, but it would send a
>NAK that may be unnecessary in the event of late arriving PDUs.  Thus the
>sender would end up using bandwidth to resend PDUs that the receiver was
>probably shortly to receive.  Of course, this is all dependent upon someone
>using acknowledged mode which, as you say, isn't likely.  Therefore it's
>probably not worth introducing the added complexity to acknowledged mode.

Okay, I think I see your point: if there were a Check cycle timer operating
in parallel with the NAK cycle timer in acknowledged mode, but on a much
shorter period, then it could detect file completion sooner without
increasing the risk of issuing an unnecessary NAK and triggering
unnecessary retransmission.  It would reduce NAK traffic if you would
otherwise run with a NAK timer period so short that premature re-NAKing was
likely (it would let you increase the NAK timer period without increasing
delay in delivering completed files); if you were already using a
long-period NAK timer, then it would reduce file delivery latency.

There's certainly value in this; the question would be whether that value
would justify the additional complexity in the spec and in the
implementations.  I'm inclined toward minimizing additional complexity in
CFDP at this point, even at the cost of sub-optimal performance, but what
do you guys think?

Scott