[Sis-mia] MIA Spring 2021 Meeting Notes

Grubbs, Rodney P. (MSFC-HP27) rodney.grubbs at nasa.gov
Wed May 19 16:00:03 UTC 2021

Thanks for all who joined and participated today!

After reviewing the Plenary Charts, DLR’s Jeremy Mayer presented a status on RTP Interoperability Testing, with input from NASA’s Josh Deaton. Testing has forced some changes to the text that was part of the Agency 2 Review version. Due to the difficulty in assessing whether some issues raised during testing are caused by firewalls required between the NASA/HOSC and DLR’s connection to Jeremy’s temporary set-up at his home, the consensus is that in-person lab testing is still required to complete Interoperability testing. In-person testing will also allow better performance data to be captured, such as latency and picture quality.

The earliest Jeremy would be able to travel to Huntsville, Alabama USA will be July of this year. We will continue to monitor his schedule. In the meantime, another test with the existing configuration will be planned for early June.

We discussed two RIDS from Agency Review 2. One has been accepted and one will be rejected. I have the action to document disposition.

We then discussed potential new work for the Working Group. Two subjects were discussed. Metadata and Video Quality.

Metadata: The Digital Motion Imagery Blue Book already defines how to include metadata in motion imagery. What is missing is what metadata is likely to be needed. After some discussion, consensus is this could be an appendix added during the next revision to the Blue Book. There is not a critical need to address this as a stand-alone item, and is not critical enough to expend resources on at this time.

Video Quality: This subject addresses the question often asked about how much bandwidth is need for HD or UHD for applications such as the return to the Moon. The bandwidth question is really the wrong question. There is a need to define objectively certain expectations for video quality for different use-cases. We agreed to defer further study on this issue until after RTP Interoperability testing is completed and documented. Hopefully in the weeks prior to the Fall meetings we can begin researching this subject. We will plan to reach consensus on pursuing a Green Book on this topic when we meet in the Fall in Toulouse, France.

Attendees for today’s meeting, via TEAMS:
Grubbs, Rodney P. (MSFC-HP27)
Walls, Bryan K. (MSFC-HP27)
Jeremy Pierce Mayer
mccm (гость)
Lindblom, Walter E. (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
Deaton, Joshua E. (MSFC-HP27)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]
George, Sandy (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
Jens (Gast) (Guest)
Ristovski, Ivica (MSFC-HP27)
Tomaso de Cola (DLR) (Gast) (Guest)

Note that our Russian participant actually included other participants in the same room.

If there are any adds/deletes/omissions to the above notes, please let me know.

I’ve asked Jeremy to upload his presentation and his edited copy of the RTP book in the CWE, SIS-MIA>Meeting Materials>2021>Spring

Thanks!

Rodney Grubbs
NASA Imagery Experts Program Manager
256-603-3270