[Sis-mia] Resolution SIS-R-2020-04-001 Agency Review of CCSDS 766.1-B-2 Digital Motion Imagery

Burleigh, Scott C (US 312B) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 30 22:37:00 UTC 2020

Hi.  I was just now leafing through the Digital Motion Imagery pink sheets, in preparation for voting to send it to agency review, when some language in 3.7.22 caught my eye:

CFDP provides the following two classes for file transmission:

-        Class 1-Unreliable CFDP transfer over a reliable UT layer;

-        Class 2-Reliable CFDP.

For video data, class 2 CFDP shall be used for end-to-end reliability; however, user requirements may stipulate that Class 1 CFDP may be utilized.

A pre-RID, I guess: we really are trying to slowly deprecate class-2 CFDP in favor of running class-1 CFDP over BP/LTP (or just over LTP).  That policy isn't yet so fully established as to merit a SHALL in this language, but maybe a SHOULD.  Something like "Class-1 CFDP is recommended for the transmission of video data files.  For reliable transmission, class-1 CFDP over a reliable UT layer, with closure requested, is recommended."

Scott