[Sis-mia] New RTP project, CWE process RESEND

Grubbs, Rodney P. (MSFC-HP27) rodney.grubbs at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 8 15:23:34 UTC 2017

Forgot to include the project description….

All— I am working on inputting estimates for our new Blue Book project (described below and discussed in our teleconference earlier this week).  Can I include your agencies in a listing of contributors, meaning: the agency agrees that their WG participant(s) will provide text and written inputs to the document, as requested by the Book Editor and WG Chair.

Looking at our mail list and past attendees at our WG meetings, that would include : DLR, ESA, CSA, CNES, JAXA, FSA

Any I missed?  Any that would prefer to not be included?

Project description:

When the MIA blue book was originally defined, the broadcast industry had centered on the MPEG-2 transport stream (M2TS) standard, originally released in 1995, as a method to send pseudo-packetized video over satellite networks. As the industry settled upon IP-based systems, M2TS was adopted as the de facto standard for transmission of compressed video via IP systems.
The nature of Delay Tolerant Networking (DTN) showcases the limitations of the M2TS standard. As M2TS performs interleaving and packetization with a very strict limit on packet-by-packet jitter, it becomes imperative that bundles are received in-order at a consistent rate, something which DTN does not excel at.  RTP is designed for the internet environment, and allows for variable sized packets, amongst other advantages with regards to synchronization of multiple sources, etc. DLR experimentation has shown that a system designed along the lines of RTP is well-suited to DTN networks.
Therefore, MIA proposes a blue book outlining the specifications for RTP as a transport for voice, video, and optional metadata in space-based DTN networks.

Thanks!
*****
Rodney Grubbs
NASA Imagery Experts Program Manager
MSFC HP27
256-544-4582
256-603-3270 (cellular, text message capable)
Follow me on Twitter @rod4dtv