[Sis-mia] Questions on Video Streaming Green Book

Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de
Wed Dec 14 11:53:53 UTC 2016

Putting on my video guy hat, and attempting to summarize this discussion: None of us would ever hope for 10% BER (unless that 10% is the best case out of 100% BER), but it’s a pretty powerful testament to the power of the Bundle Protocol that video even has a chance at those kinds of error rate, taking into account the massive throughput reductions and high potential for some data loss.

Should we add something somewhere, saying something similar to:
If real time decoding is desire, care must be taken to select a video encoding bitrate which is less than the worst case end-to-end throughput. While the Bundle Protocol and LTP are very resistant to high Bit Error Rates, the loss and subsequent retransmission of bundles or segments will cause out-of-order arrival data. That may be partially mitigated via the use of large decoding buffers, which may be tuned to be at least 3 times the One Way Light Time of the end-to-end link, in order to provide padding for the additional delay of retransmission.

On a different point, I would like to chime in with a short word of thanks to Keith. Your contributions to the CCSDS community cannot be overstated (especially when taken in the context of this discussion, where your patience and wide range of technical competency is on full display).

Thanks,
Jeremy