[Sis-mia] RE: [Sis-dtn] RE: Quick comments: [CESG] SIS Resolution to submit Voice and Audio Communications Red Book for processing and CESG Polling for Agency Review (SIS-R-2014-11-003)

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Tue Nov 25 20:55:20 UTC 2014

I don’t think this whole discussion belongs in the Voice book, however.  Voice’s lower-layer interface (for file transfers) is CFDP, and it’s not Voice’s job to string together how CFDP is layered on top of the rest of the stack.

I think we can / should:

1)    Take the voice book out of the CFDP UT discussion as above:

a.     users may want to do voice/audio transfers over delays that are long enough to make interactive voice impractical;

b.    the solution is to use file transfers of audio files;

c.     CFDP is the CCSDS standard for file transfers over space links (and I would *like* to say, end-to-end, but again, not Voice’s problem)

Practically speaking, I suggest we let Tom go ahead with formatting the book and getting it out, and work Gian-Paolo’s comments (and any others that come in that are well-defined) in parallel.  That will give us a jump on resolving any CESG comments that come back (including G-P’s!).  It should be pretty easy to go through the book to remove any normative language about what goes on underneath CFDP – I or someone from the DTN WG can take that on if you like.

2)    Within SIS, start planning for CFDP/XXX UT layer books / annexes / as needed.
Sound workable?

--keith