[Sis-ipo] Shim Byte for IP over CCSDS

Greg Kazz greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 14 13:58:27 EDT 2008

All,

Attached is a set of viewgraphs for your consideration. They
summarize the RID that has been written by the NASA Constellation
Project against the IP over CCSDS Red book. (this RID was sent to you
in a previous email).

It offers a solution to the NASA Constellation requirement to do IP
header compression using RFC 2507 and 2508.

I believe it is a reasonable solution given that it does not impact
the format of the CCSDS Encapsulation Packet, rather it adds a shim
byte after the Encapsulation packet header (See page 6) but before
the user data frame or packet.

This RID wil be discussed at the IP over CCSDS meeting in Berlin.

Questions for all:

1. This RID which advocates the use of a shim byte has provision for
additional bytes so that other protocol/packet formats can be added
at a later date if needed. Does anyone foresee such a need?

2. If this RID is approved, in which CCSDS book should this
information go?  A new and separate blue book that addresses this
Shim protocol? Perhaps if protocols other than IP need to be
addressed. Or at this time, since we know this shim involves IP
header compression, it only belongs in the IP over CCSDS magenta
book.  You thoughts?

best regards,

Greg Kazz
Chairman IP over CCSDS WG