[Sis-ipo] Re: IP over DVB-S2

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 21 11:24:00 EDT 2005

At 04:02 AM 6/21/2005, Lloyd Wood of Cisco wrote:
>This HDLC approach has been proposed in the space agency domain for their
>CCSDS protocols, as easier than the various existing and arcane
>IP-in-CCSDS encapsulations.

"Easier" and "arcane" are subjective terms. The current four variants of
internationally standardized space link protocols that are defined by the
CCSDS Space Link Services Area
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/default.aspx provide standard
mechanisms for directly multiplexing variable-length IP packets into the
link framing mechanisms, as well as a lightweight encapsulation mechanism
http://public.ccsds.org/sites/cwe/rids/Lists/1331R3/Attachments/133x1r3.pdf
that may be useful for carrying a variety of upper layer data units such as
IPv6 (including jumbograms). The current standards also allow a serial
stream to be carried point-to-point across a single link. The goal of the
current BOF is to examine whether there is a need to more clearly and
centrally define how these various IP transfer options operate. We would
welcome a liaison relationship with the new IP over DVB-S2 study.

Best regards

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Interplanetary Network Directorate
Pasadena, California, USA