[Sis-exec] FW: [CESG] CCSDS Mailing list and Meeting statistics

Durst, Robert C. durst at mitre.org
Thu May 29 11:27:30 EDT 2008

All,

Please read the forwarded note and look at the attached spread sheet.
I note with some disappointment that all of our SIS working groups fall
into the category of "under utilizing the mailing lists and over
utilizing rooms."  Please correct this.

Adrian is right -- the mailing lists SHOULD be where the bulk of the
work is done.  Not in meetings, and not on private, unarchived
conversations.  The difference in statistics for those groups actively
using the lists and for those that are not is pretty striking.

We have three new groups starting up in SIS:  Voice, MIA, and DTN.  You
guys IN PARTICULAR need to a) get active NOW (I'm going to have to
justify your existence again in a couple of weeks in Japan), and b) do
it on the lists, so that people that measure progress by how many email
messages are exchanged can know that you're doing something useful.

I'd like to see each working group have telecon sync-up sessions no
less frequently than once per month in the periods between face-to-face
meetings.  Please put together a proposed schedule of these
face-to-face sessions, circulate it within your group for concurrence,
and cc me on it.  Please complete this by the end of next week (June
6).  And I'd like to see all of the traffic supporting those
teleconference meetings and the regular CCSDS meetings (schedules,
agendas, slides, post-meeting summaries, comments) circulated via the
lists.

CCSDS is struggling with the high number of people that they have at
meetings and the high number of rooms that they consume.  Each SIS WG
is in the category of potentially being denied meeting space for the
fall meetings.  If you think your work is important, please fix this.

Regards,
Bob