[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXT] Re: 28 March SIS-DTN telecon

Felix Flentge Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Thu Mar 28 06:52:27 UTC 2024

Hi,

My (maybe wrong) assumption has always been that the new (BPv7) Blue Book will become 734.2-B-2 and that 734.2-B-1 will be silverized.

We have a lot of documentation which included 734.2-B-1 with the expectation that this will be “updated” to 734.2-B-2 when the new book has been published by CCSDS.
(This sounds much less scary to people then saying that a standard will be replaced by a new standard once published although it means the same …).

Anyway, this is important as we are trying to resolve the LNIS RIDs (and put out ICD, ITTs, etc for other activities). So, in general I think it is important to

  1.  Have a clear identifier for an upcoming standard which is *stable*, so that we can already refer to it by eg, “734.2-B-2, to be published”
  2.  Have a way to refer to drafts that have been released for Agency reviews (this is not ideal but sometimes much better then referring (only) to the old standard). In CCSDS terms I believe that this should be red books. However, for some reason we ended up with 734.2-P-1.1 for the new BP book (for BPSEC we have 734.5-R-2 which looks better). Having those allows to reference eg
734.2-B-2, to be published (CCSDS profile of RFC 9171 - Bundle Protocol Version 7, see CCSDS Draft Recommended Standard 734.2-P-1.1)

Whatever we do, we should conclude asap (ideally before the spring meetings; we have to finalise LNIS RID responses now).

Regards,
Felix