[Sis-dtn] DTN Reference Scenarios

Felix Flentge Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Fri Jun 7 08:13:20 UTC 2024

Hi Tomaso,

Please see my replies below.

Regards,
Felix

From: Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de <Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de>
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2024 9:44 AM
To: Felix Flentge <Felix.Flentge at esa.int>
Cc: sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org; Edward.Birrane at jhuapl.edu
Subject: AW: DTN Reference Scenarios

Hi Felix,

thank you for sharing the slides presented yesterday.

Just three comments:

1)      I see no mention of optical communications, while the lunar WG within IOAG was pointing to them too. Any reason for excluding them now from the picture?

FF: At least Moonlight does not include optical trunk link (, yet) and the scenario seems complex enough for the time being.

2)      The SOIS-WIR WG has been working on green and blue books about the communication solutions for in-situ planetary network, possibly resulting in the coexistence of 3GPP/WiFi solutions with DTN-based ones. Is this also captured in the pictures you have put in your slides?

FF: No, we have considered adding more nodes on surfaces  but I think it does not considerably change the scenario (again, seems already complex enough). It would certainly be exciting to consider surface IP networks as well but I would keep this for later.

3)      As to where push information about all (and possibly other) DTN reference scenarios, let's not forget that we have the CCSDS 734.0-G-1 "Rationale, Scenarios, and Requirements for DTN in Space" which is since long (the document was published already in 2010) in our ToDo list for the 5-year review. Probably the material you provided in the slides could be further elaborated and expanded for a new version of that green book. In any case it is probably now time to think how and when to start the 5-year review of that book (I know all our resources are on the blue and orange books, but that green book is really old and must be refreshed)

FF: Yes, I could imagine the scenarios ending up in the green book but I would like to finish the first version asap. Maybe we can have them yellow ('yellow is the new green') first just to have something to reference to.

Just another point somehow correlated to scenarios: during the monthly telco between SIS and IETF DTN WG, it emerged that IETF would like to come up with a concept/white paper about the challenges of space internetworking. Moreover, a first step would be to review and update RFC4838 which now contains some outdated content that should be revised. I add here Ed who can say a few words more on this point.

FF: Indeed, I think that these scenarios are also relevant in this context as they may help to add some more realism to the general discussions. However, we should stress that the intention is more short-term and still very agency-centric so this should not limit work on scalable solutions for large networks.

Regards,

Tomaso