[Sis-dtn] [EXT] Re: PID responses for BPV7

Dr. Keith L Scott kscott at mitre.org
Tue Nov 15 16:06:32 UTC 2022

Ignacio,

-06
My sincere apologies for missing -06, will get on that.  Ah, OK, I copied your ‘from’ text…

Anonymous bundles:
I think we need to support the concept of dtn:none in case e.g. somebody SENDS an anonymous bundle into the CCSDS portion of the DTN network.  As a concrete example, if somebody were to perversely send an anonymous bundle to the (as yet not-entirely-specified) bpecho service (which simply reflects the bundle back to the source), the receiving node needs (I think) to be able to interpret the source EID (ipn:0.0) as a valid well-formed EID, and it will then find that there is no route to that endpoint.  It would be an implementation optimization to then simply not reply (or immediately discard the reply) instead of trying to wait for a route to ipn:0.0 to become available, which it should never do.  Or, if a node is validating the primary block of a bundle with an anonymous source, the bare fact that it has an anonymous source shouldn’t cause the node to throw an error (though security policy certainly might).

The CCSDS BPv7 profile states that CCSDS implementations don’t need to be able to source anonymous bundles (3.3.3), which might get at your question above (why do we need them in the space context – we don’t, at least we assert that implementations aren’t required to be able to generate any).  That leaves open the possibility that an implementation could send anonymous bundles if it came up with a good reason to do so.

[As a side note: I think dtn:none is left over from BPv6 and the current custodian field.  It doesn’t really make sense to use dtn:none as a report-to EID, and certainly not as a destination EID.]

SLS-14
We tried to address this by renaming section 5 simply “Services BP Requires”.  I think this is in half-correct, in that in order to function correctly the PROTOCOL needs a time source.  The PROTOCOL doesn’t really need storage, but any sane implementation does.

I sort of like “BP Node Requirements” or “Services Required by BP Nodes” (the BP agent is part of the node, and I could see someone arguing that storage is required as part of the application agent to buffer bundles for delivery to registrations that are in a passive state).  I suppose a contender would be “BP Implementation Requirements” but I think I like ‘node’ better.  Anybody else have thoughts here?

Assuming we go with ‘BP Node Requirements’ or ‘Services Required by BP Nodes’ as the title of section 5 and correct the text for -06, would that then address all of your concerns?

                                v/r,

                                --keith