[Sis-dtn] FW: [dtn] [EXT] yet another modest proposal

Dr. Keith L Scott kscott at mitre.org
Thu Jul 28 15:03:49 UTC 2022

FYI.  This was from the second half of the IETF DTN WG meeting.

                                --keith

From: dtn <dtn-bounces at ietf.org> on behalf of Dr. Keith L Scott <kscott at mitre.org>
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM
To: sburleig.sb at gmail.com <sburleig.sb at gmail.com>, dtn at ietf.org <dtn at ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn] [EXT] yet another modest proposal
So I can sort of remember SOME IPv4 addresses (at least for a while…) but IPv6?  -- forget it.  So sure, why not just use (IPN Node) numbers?  Bonus if we build a DNS-like service (and some elements of CCSDS are interested in a whois-like service as well).

To your point about the IPN DNS-like service being delay-tolerant.  Well, in general, yes, such a service should operate over BP and could operate over disruptions/delays.  The issue is what happens when this database changes.  Fundamentally, the information has to be synchronized throughout the network.  That could be a long/painful process in a DTN, but I’m not sure there’s an alternative.

I’m not sure I agree on the need for something that’s highly processor-efficient; I’d lean more towards something that is highly compressible so that those synchronization efforts are more efficient.

As I said above, some elements of CCSDS are interested in a ‘whois-like’ service that would map a node number to a point of contact.  I think that gets at your notion of the meaninglessness of node numbers and the ‘hints’ about who ‘owns’ what based on IANA / SANA registry entries.  That service would have all the same issues of the DNS-like service, I think.

Again, in the near future, the DNS and whos databases will be reasonably small, and most resolutions are going to be done by people on Earth.  For the slightly-longer term we may have folks on the Moon, and later on Mars which starts to get to be an issue.  Good and efficient algorithms for doing the ‘zone transfers’ to support the DNS and whois services would be good, but probably supportable for the next, say, 50-100 years.

So, I think I agree, numbers are as good as anything and probably better than trying to do string-to-string mappings.

(My apologies if the above is duplicative; I couldn’t make the second hour of the meeting – it was recorded, right?  I’ll try to catch that).

                                --keith