[Sis-dtn] [EXT] Re: Positive reception claim vs. Negative reception claim in LTP Report Segment preparation and processing

Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de
Tue Apr 5 06:44:07 UTC 2022

Hi,
Going back to Vints previous email:  agreed; the ACK may exist as a response to a checkpoint/session closure message. In that case, the sender closes the session, receiver takes inventory, and responds with 1:n NACKS or a confirmation of closure.

Otherwise, if we’re considering this proactive-NACK approach, I think we’re starting to converge. To summarize the discussion so far: the hybrid of proactive NACK/periodic ACK is really powerful but (as Cheol pointed out) may result in congestion on the noisiest links (which ironically have some of the lowest uplink throughput).  Also, whatever we design shouldn’t add additional configuration complexity.

One “back of the napkin” idea is to provide a proactive yet sliding NACK window, specified by the sender. Let’s say that you’re sending CP’s at 1hz. The sender sends some signalling data to say that it supports NACK, along with a maximum NACK aggregation frequency (let’s say 10hz). On the receiver side, data loss is tracked and (if the number of NACK claims is > 0) sent at 10hz. Some metadata is added to the standard CP to specify the serial number of received/pending NACKS. The receiver responds with one claim, specifying the largest contiguous block of data has been received, as well as re-requesting any NACKS that have apparently been missed (as triggered by a timer, etc).

Determining the efficiency of this mechanism will definitely require further study.

Thanks,
Jeremy