[Sis-dtn] Positive reception claim vs. Negative reception claim in LTP Report Segment preparation and processing

Felix.Flentge at esa.int Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Mon Apr 4 08:40:13 UTC 2022

Hi Cheol,

interesting question. One thing I can think of is that the positive claims
would allow you to free memory earlier while for negative claims you need
to wait until the end of a session.

Regards,
Felix

From:   "구철회 via SIS-DTN" <sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org>
To:     "sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org" <sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org>
Date:   04/04/2022 10:15
Subject:        [Sis-dtn] Positive reception claim vs. Negative reception
claim in LTP Report Segment preparation and processing
Sent by:        "SIS-DTN" <sis-dtn-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org>

Greetings,

This is Cheol. I am developing an LTP reference implementation. During
reading the LTP specification (RFC-5326), the preparation of reception
claim in Report Segment makes me confusing about why it is positive claim
not negative claim for segments that were not received successfully (i.e.,
NAK).

For reference, CFDP’s NAK PDU has the negative claim structure when it is
requested to report missing PDUs. Does anyone know about the background of
choosing the positive claim for NAK operation in LTP?
I think negative claim is simpler and more efficient in terms of overhead
for sender and receiver both.
I like to listen experts’ opinion on LTP operation and honestly hope it
to be changed in newly coming LTP spec.

Cheol