[Sis-dtn] [EXT] Deterministic CBOR encoding

Birrane, Edward J. Edward.Birrane at jhuapl.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:17:55 UTC 2021

Felix,

  I had almost this exact conversation with Scott Burleigh and Kevin Fall yesterday.

  The approach to addressing this is to clarify what is meant by Canonical CBOR as part of AUTH48, with a statement of something like the following:

"the CBOR representations of the values of all fields in all blocks must conform to the Core Deterministic Encoding Requirements as specified in [RFC8949] except that indefinite-length items are not prohibited."

  The intent of the BPv7 spec is clearly to allow some indefinite length items, as the spec uses indefinite-length items, and the wording in Section 4.1 is meant to describe the encoding of fields within block otherwise. The exact wording will be figured out once we have the RFC-editor version of the text to review.

-Ed

Edward J. Birrane, III, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Chief Engineer, Space Constellation Networking
Space Exploration Sector
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
(W) 443-778-7423 / (C) 443-690-8272