[Sis-dtn] [EXT] Canonical CBOR in BPv7 a MUST for block field encoding?

Felix.Flentge at esa.int Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Thu Dec 2 06:59:35 UTC 2021

Well,

I think the point here is whether it is 'must' or 'MUST'.

Is there any intention to keep some flexibility for IETF DTN here or not?

It's an important point for (efficient) on-board implementations. CCSDS
should be very clear on CBOR serialisation. So, I see four options

1) IETF has a MUST, CCSDS confirms this MUST
2) IETF has a 'must'--> CCSDS makes is a MUST
3) IETF has a MUST --> CCSDS decides to implement a different
serialisation (to guarantee fixed block sizes independent from actual
values)
4) IETF has a 'must'--> CCSDS decides to implement a different
serialisation

Clearly, 3)  needs to avoided and I would hope that we do not need to go
to 4) ( the initial feedback is that deterministic CBOR is ok for on-board
implementations, TBC).
Ideally, we would have 1) but in order to avoid 3) we might want to stay
with 1)

On the indefinite-length exception, I'm not sure. I think the requirement
for deterministic CBOR is on the blocks/fields and not the entire bundle
(which is currently the only indefinite length item).
So, we might allow indefinite-length also in blocks (which may lead to
slightly more efficient encoding but might make decoding slightly more
difficult). In this case, we might want to extend the deterministic CBOR
requirement (with the exception) to the whole bundle.
Or we might not allow in-definite length for blocks/fields and state
explicitly that this does not apply to the full bundle.

(I do hope, I have not been to confusing. It's still quite early for me.)

Regards,
Felix