[Sis-dtn] Telecon Notes 20210224

Carlo Caini carlo.caini at unibo.it
Wed Apr 7 20:14:41 UTC 2021

Dear Scott,
    Thank you for your informative remarks. I fully agree with the possible removal of intermediate CPs. We too have not implemented them in the LTP version we are developing.
I agree also on session timer, which would protect also against possible stalls, should one of the two node stop operating (e.g. if the sender crashes after having sent an intemediate RAS but before the CP following the re-tx segments, the receiver should stall forever). There is another case, trivial to calculate, which could be used as ceiling value: in a block there are bundles, and bundles have a lifetime. The highest lifetime of the bundles contained in a block could be safely used as a ceiling for the session deadline. However, in this case, it could be the BP to tell LTP to cancel an ongoing session.
Concerning block lenght, I agree with you on the max lenght constraint. However, to know in advance the lenght of a block could be still advantageous becouse this information could be used to reserve the right amount of space in RAM for the Rx session buffer, not a single byte more than necessary. This way, the total amount of RAM avaiulable for LTP at Rx side, could be pooled among all on going sessions, without putting any hard limit on the max number of concurrent Rx sessions. For example, given a total amount of RAM available, we could use this to fit 10 large blocks, or 100 small blocks, or whatever intermediate combination. This could add flexibility when speed at Rx is necessary (i.e. RAM compulsory). This would be not alternative to fragmenting very large bundles which would be most likely necessary anyway (we can neither use all RAM for a giant block, nor discover after having saturated all mememory available that we are sorry but we cannot accomodate any more bytes!). A possible solution could be to insert the block lenght in an extension, as an option, to be activated when there are no problems of bandwidth available, as in optical links.
Yours,
   Carlo