[Sis-dtn] Proposed registry (and registry changes) to address BP operations in CCSDS.

Burleigh, Scott C (312B) Scott.C.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 28 15:13:21 UTC 2018

I think there’s a little bit of a conceptual disconnect here.

As I understand it, the reason you would want to know what services – that is, what sources of data – are supported at a given BP node is that you want to obtain some of that data.  To do so, you would send a bundle, requesting the desired data, to the endpoint formed by the ID of the node and the ID of the service that is the data source, and the node would send the data back to you.

But this sort of client/server data flow requires round-trip communication that can take a long time; it is innately non-delay-tolerant.  That is the central point we started with in 1998.  The sort of registry we are talking about here might be valuable, but I don’t think it has anything to do with DTN.

The delay-tolerant way to obtain data is simply to receive it when it is generated by the source; to accomplish this, you join the corresponding multicast group to which the source node publishes the new data.  (And, in the long run, I think you pick up previously published data after the fact by joining persistent multicast groups that act like information-centric networking stores.)

Multicast bundles have sources that are identified by node/service, but of course the sources know their own identities; no need for a registry.  The destinations of these bundles are “imc” endpoints identified by multicast group number and, as relevant, service number within multicast group.  So a registry of multicast groups would be a very helpful element of DTN infrastructure, but I wouldn’t expect a registry of node/service pairs – or even, really, a registry of nodes – to be of much utility.

What about knowing which destinations of data are operating at which BP nodes, do we need a registry for that?

Certainly it is the case that non-multicast messages have sources and destinations that are identified by node/service.  But again the source endpoints are known by the sources themselves, and I am doubtful that any application is going to need a registry of the node/service pairs that identify potential destinations of non-multicast bundles.  The scalable and responsive way to provide that information, I think, is for the applications to manage it themselves.  E.g.:

1.       Node A sends a bundle saying “You can get data X from me” to multicast group Q.

2.       Node B, a member of multicast group Q, receives that bundle and sends a non-multicast bundle to node A (the source of the original multicast) saying “Great, please send me X, encrypted.”

3.       Node A receives that bundle, uses the public key of A to encrypt X, and sends encrypted X in a non-multicast bundle to B (the source of the request bundle).

4.       Node B receives that bundle and uses its private key to decrypt X.

We could have skipped step 1 by providing this information in a SANA registry; node B could have learned that X was at A by querying the registry.  But that would require another round-trip data exchange between node B and the registry; I am skeptical that there is an advantage.

That said, I don’t object to creating the proposed SANA registries in the near term.  For the relatively small-scale and stable application structures we are likely to see over the next few years they may serve us well.

Scott