[Sis-dtn] Bundle Signing And Encryption With CMS

Burleigh, Scott C (312B) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 30 17:26:58 UTC 2015

I agree, Jeremy, it's terrific that you could do this so quickly.  And I agree that the overheads are not bad, but to my mind they are still a little troubling.  I can imagine an SBSP Block Integrity Block ciphersuite that would use a one-time, randomly generated SHA256 key to generate a SHA256 digest over the payload (shipped in the BIB's results field); would include that key in the BIB's ciphersuite parameters; and would also provide an elliptic-curve digital signature for that key (computed using the sender's private key, to be verified using the sender's pre-placed public key) as an additional ciphersuite parameter.  I think that would come to 256 bits for the SHA256 digest plus 256 bits for the SHA256 key, plus 320 bits for the ECDS, for a total of 832 bits = 104 bytes.  Even allowing for a little additional BIB structural overhead, this is still less than a sixth of the overhead measured for the CMS signing option.

I am sure there easy ways to reduce these numbers, and I am by no means saying that CMS is the wrong way to go.  I'm just saying that I would like to keep the bar fairly high here, as we can't necessarily count on bundles transmitted over the Solar System Internet being so large that 686 bytes of security overhead is insignificant.

Scott