[Sis-dtn] Bundle Signing And Encryption With CMS

Jeremy Pierce-Mayer jeremy.mayer at dlr.de
Tue Jun 30 10:02:20 UTC 2015

Hey Everyone,

During the Bundle Security telecom last week, I took the action to wedge the
Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) into BP, for use in signing and
encryption. Here are the results:

Software Implementation:
For this testing, I used a random payload, passed that through the CMS
implementation (OpenSSL), using a pre-shared 1024b RSA key in an X509
certificate. The enveloped data was outputted in DER encoding (Base64). It
is important to note that this is not S-MIME. The DER-ified data was added
as a bundle payload. For future testing, it should be possible to update (or
dynamically generate) the X509 stuff, where we can set the FROM/TO addressed
to the src/dest EID's.

I ran two tests, signing and verification...

Measurement Methodology:

All of the numbers below were taken from the receiver side. In other words,
the "pre-signing/encryption" sizes were based upon successfully decrypting
or verifying the data at the end of the pipe.

Results - Signing:

There are two subtests here, one where I carried the CMS signer cert within
the data, and one where I didn't. As you can see, the overhead isn't
terrible, especially when you consider that (in some of the tests) I was
carrying the cert down the wire. You can also stack signer certificates
within a single CMS message, though I opted to not do that (for simplicity)
until we have a further plan for CMS.

Results - Encryption:
I'm going to prefix this by saying that I really didn't need a graph for
this one, but graphs are cool, and if I write enough here, it will look like
a proper headline... So, graphs:

Once again, the overhead isn't awful, at 349 bytes.

Where Do We Go From Here:
I have no idea, though I'm tempted to say that this is a discussion for
Darmstadt.