[Sis-dtn] Re: Securing the CCSDDS Bundle Protocol

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Mon Jun 22 14:36:00 UTC 2015

Charles,

I think this is a good start, but we’re going to have to define the requirements ourselves (in concert with the Security WG) rather than look for an existing punch-list.  I don’t propose to do an entire CCSDS Book to codify these set if we can come to a consensus within the WG (and in conjunction with the security WG) as to what they are.  I think Scott’s and Kiyo’s responses are a good start towards tightening up the requirements list, then we can ask which of the methods we know of or could invent can meet those requirements.  Then we write the book.

I think we can take as a starting point the documents from the Security WG:

The Application of CCSDS Protocols to Secure Systems. Green Book<http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/350x0g2.pdf>. Issue 2. January 2006.

  *   [Section 4] I think we want Confidentiality, Authentication, and Integrity of some portions of bundles (e.g. Payload, information needed to route, etc.)
  *   [Section 5] I think we’re talking about Network-Layer security (Bundle-layer)

Security Threats against Space Missions. Green Book<http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/350x1g1.pdf>. Issue 1. October 2006.

  *   Section 3 runs down some common threats, some of which I think we should defend against in the CCSDS Bundle Security Protocol.
     *   I think the ability to apply Confidentiality, Authentication, and Integrity to the ‘right parts’ of bundles should address all that we need, but we should look.

There are some other 350-series documents, but I think the above ones are the most relevant w.r.t. Our figuring out what the CBSP needs to implement.

—keith