[Sis-dtn] RE: Proposed RID resolutions to LTP Book

Burleigh, Scott C (312G) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 2 04:59:03 UTC 2014

Keith, if you think we have to say this sort of thing to get the book published, well, I can live with it.  But it's unfortunate.

I don't see any reason to make the first change shown here.  The original text is correct.

The first bullet under NOTES is correct, and I don't object strongly to inserting it.  It should be obvious to anyone who has read the document, but maybe it's not.

I'm fine with removing the "For real-time commanding" text as shown in the second bullet, but the text replacing the word "order" is (I think) more confusing than what was originally written.  At minimum, let's delete the "red parts of" text from that revision.

The text in the third bullet is true, I guess, but I see no benefit in inserting it.  The most that could accomplish would be the development of an extremely poor-performing LTP implementation that, when well publicized, will provide convincing evidence that LTP is a lousy protocol.

The fourth bullet is okay, but I think a better approach would be a NOTE replacing the second and third bullets that says something like "If your LTP-based application requires in-order delivery of service data units, consider using the delay-tolerant payload conditioning (DTPC) service of the Bundle Protocol."  Everything else we're saying here amounts to hitching a snowplow to a motorcycle.

Scott