[Sis-csi] IPv6?

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 12:41:53 EDT 2007

At Saturday 09/06/2007 11:05 +0200, Chris.Taylor at esa.int wrote:
>I am well aware of the emerging initiatives in DTN and the fact that by
>introducing another layer of bundling we could resolve some of the issues
>with IP. I'm also well aware that we can fly a commercial router just for the
>benefit of sending point to point traffic from a payload to ground. Something
>we can do anytime with existing software and at zero cost. But this is not my
>point. I'm asking what we really need in the next 15 year or so period, a
>period in which the commercial terrestrial standards will evolve out of all
>recognition and many (most) of the standards used today will have long gone,
>as will the commercial support and components needed for long duration
>missions.  Just how many IP addresses are we going to need for the flight
>infrastructure in place at the time - 4, 5? Wow. Do we really need a fully IP
>routed flight architecture to support a few IP cognizant nodes.

IP routing isn't needed onboard for exploration, except on manned missions - the point section 14 of the paper I pointed out makes with respect to scheduling, ownership, and contention. (Experiments with our router in orbit are unrelated to that particular point. The router fits into an already existing IP infrastructure; the infrastructure doesn't require the onboard router. You'll note that I didn't mention the onboard router in the previous mail.)

Saratoga and other similar UDP protocols do not require the layer of bundling to function in the face of disruption or delay, as those papers make clear.

The SSTL satellites don't use onboard routing. But they do contain multiple IP nodes, and use multiple IP addresses. There's your realistic configuration and deployment of IP in space, right there. I fail to see how the Disaster Monitoring Constellation (with five satellites launched, three pending) is 'commercially driven nonsense', and the Disasters Charter would not agree with you. The model used on the DMC satellites can be applicable to deep-space exploration. Don't confuse that model with an experimental onboard router.

I also fail to see how terrestrial standards will evolve out of all recognition in fifteen years. IP is over thirty years old, as is Ethernet. Frame relay is over fifteen years old.

What do you see as your existing problems?

L.