[Sis-csi] IPv6?

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Fri Jun 8 11:45:52 EDT 2007

Just to stir things up a bit, has it really been decided that we will use IP
on our future links. From the discussion it seems like a done deal but our
ESA studies and opinion is that IP doesn't bring us much other than a bit
more address space that we probably don't need anyway. Rather than  discuss
the merits of IPv4 and 6 it may be more productive to critically examine the
application of IP to see how it may be employed or not. I should say that I
have no particular issue with the use of IP its just that I think the problem
is much wider and by concentrating on v4/v6 there is a danger of missing the
real problems - IP doesn't work on links that have disjoint connectivity

//ct

             "Schneider, Larry"
             <larry.schneider at n
             asa.gov>                                                     To
             Sent by:                   Donald P Olsen
             sis-csi-bounces at ma         <Donald.P.Olsen at aero.org>
             ilman.ccsds.org                                              cc
                                        sis-csi-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org,
                                        CCSDS Cislunar Space Internetworking
             07/06/2007 20:02           WG <sis-csi at mailman.ccsds.org>
                                                                     Subject
                                        RE: [Sis-csi] IPv6?

CEV has a requirement to support IPv4 with a transition to IPv6 for lunar. By
going early they avoid the cost to support both solutions and an awkward
program transition.

Mobile IP is included and standardized in IPv6 whereas in IPv4 it is
supported only under proprietary solutions.

IPv6 eliminates private addresses.

I'm not suggesting it can't work either way, I'm only indicating how it
currently from my vantage.