[Sis-csi] IPv6?

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Thu Jun 7 10:06:56 EDT 2007

Hi,
  as you might have noticed, ARIN board recently advised the
community that IPv4 addresses are going away and push the community
to consider IPv6 asap... The concensus currently is that IPv4
addresses will be gone by 2010 from the IANA pool and then x months
later from the RIR pool.  Given that space projects are "long term"
projects, at the time some IP address space will be needed for space
in, say 2012, then v4 addresses won't be available. only IPv6
addresses will be available.
  given the multi-international scope of space projects, I can't
imagine having IPv4 NATs between spacecrafts that forces VoIP traffic
to go through earth just because of traversing NAT... ouach....
  therefore, I think this group should really consider:
- ipv6 as the primary IP protocol
- ipv6 as possible only IP protocol
- designing a contingency plan if v4 is still considered.

comments?