[Sis-csi] RE: networking details

Edward Greenberg edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 9 16:27:23 EST 2007

Dave,   You are correct and this stuff that is flying around is just
religious ferver.   I have been trying to get a picture of the in
space networking needs for Constellation for a long time and have yet
to see anything that is operationally blessed.  We can talk about
routing desires for ever but what are the real requirements.  Are
things going to take random walks in space or are missions and
hardware movements going to scheduled and exhaustively tested before
anything moves.  Is automated address management needed, or is it
over kill for the first 30 years of the program?    And If the
environment in the later years of the program is centered around the
Moon or Mars, how will the delays effect the operational use of UDP.
Deep space missions have been forced to use store and forward
operations for years, and the protocols supporting those missions are
focus for that environment.  So can anyone supply an operational
scenario that requires the advanced networking features that IPv6
brings to the table.