[Sis-csi] RE: networking details

Leigh Torgerson ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 8 20:38:03 EST 2007

ah, the wonders of layering... For making life easier below IP, AOS
versus frame relay/HDLC issues need to be discussed as Scott and
others have said. There is an installed base, there are international
issues to think about, and there are hybrid solutions as Lloyd points
out like IP/HDLC/AOS - there is more to the story than just counting
up bit overhead and the impact of fixed-length packets (or the need
to do bit-stuffing) - We need to see about making the C3I Protocol
Overhead Study done last November available to the CCSDS working
group as a start.

But Assi brings up a good point about coding and RF layers that we
need to worry about - except, as Keith points out, the
link/coding/and RF layers are not really in our bailiwick (umm, we
took on some link work by taking on the IP over CCSDS Link WG, but
Greg Kazz is also the chair of the link WGs in Jean-Luc's Area..)
Should CCSDS establish some sort of CSI analog in Jean-Luc's Space
Link Services Area? It would be a good way to get some more
involvement from ESA and others.

Leigh

J. Leigh Torgerson                          ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Communications Systems Research Sec.332
DARPA DTN / DSMS Advanced Protocol Implementation Work Area Manager
(818) 393-0695                                   (818) 393-4643 fax