[Sis-csi] Telecon today, 10/12 @ 3:30PM EST

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Thu Oct 12 10:04:16 EDT 2006

Right, and this was in fact the genesis for some rather odd addressing
schemes that have been proposed in other venues, such as placing all of
the 'space-facing' interfaces into a single subnet.  Things get sticky
when you want to communicate from the ground directly to S/C1 or if you
want to use S/C2 as a relay to get to S/C1.  I'd prefer some solution
that didn't involve renumbering interfaces on the fly (ICK!).

The unnumbered interfaces idea might be really good, especially since I
haven't heard anybody proposing anything except serial data links
between space and ground or between spacecraft.  I'm a bit leery of
anything that requires bidirectional connectivity (like negotiating
link-local addresses) as bidirectional connectivity's not necessarily a
given.

I also don't think we're necessarily tied to what commercial routers
allow or don't allow; though knowing when we're in/out of the bounds of
commercial implementations is VERY useful.

        --keith