[Sis-csi] IPv4 and IPv6

Howard Weiss howard.weiss at sparta.com
Thu Feb 23 10:27:34 EST 2006

Obviously, anything that makes me happy must be good!!  :-)

Seriously, the security that IPv6 brings is no different than the
security in IPv4.  In both cases its IPSec.  The only difference is that
IPSec is "optional to implement" in conformant IPv4 whereas its
"mandatory to implement" in IPv6.  You still don't have to use, but ya
gotta haul it around as extra baggage (if you care about being fully
conformant).

IPv6 address space will be a lot of bytes increase in overhead - 4 bytes
vs. 16 bytes for each address.  But in the big scheme of things,
especially if explicit authentication is required (e.g. IPSec AH), then
the Message Authentication Code that will be attached to each packet
will also be 12, 16, or 20 bytes (depending on whether the MAC is
truncated to 96 bits as with the IETF HMAC algorithm, straight MD5 is
used, or straight SHA-1 is used).   So is it that big a deal??

And then we can argue back and forth about whether or not the additional
address space is even needed.  We can make arguments that say we don't
ever want to give a spacecraft a routable address.  The spacecraft
should be on a private net and therefore a 10. or a 192.168. address
would suffice and protect it against external attacks.  Even if we
didn't have such concerns, we could also make arguments that NAT'd
addresses would suffice given the small number of addresses needed.  And
so on.....

I remember my own hesitancy back in the 80s when we had to convert from
the ARPAnet's old NCP protocol that worked so well to this "beast"
called TCP/IP with all of its "horribly overhead."  It was a pain back
in the PDP-11 days but we did it. I suspect that given the migration of
space qual processors and memories this won't even be a blip in a few
years - just about when missions might think about using it.

I think I convinced myself that IPv6 is probably the right answer for
something new coming down the line (as much as it pains me to say it!)

Howie

--

Howard Weiss
SPARTA, Inc.