[Sis-csi] Text for Transport Layer Section

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 25 18:43:52 EDT 2006

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> At Tuesday 2006-04-25 14:57 -0700, Scott Burleigh wrote:
>
>> CFDP is designed to run over a deep-space radio link, where the laws
>> of physics pretty much assure that if bits arrive at all they arrive
>> in the order in which they were transmitted.
>
> Modern coding theory and interleaving to ensure robustness to
> interference (FEC, LDPC, turbo codes, even interleaved concatenated
> codes) pretty much ensures that that claimed in-order delivery of bits
> does not, in fact, actually happen. Ever. While still obeying the laws
> of physics.

We seem to be talking about different things, Lloyd.  I'm pretty sure
that the bits transmitted (by which I mean "radiated", i.e., issued from
the radio) arrive at the receiver in the order in which they were
transmitted.  That's how I dimly recall electromagnetic signal
propagation works.

Maybe you can think of an exception to this, but I don't very much care
.  You asked a question about CFDP, and I assumed that meant you'd like
an answer.  I gave you the best one I could.  If you weren't seriously
interested, but were instead only interested in engaging in a little
game of gotcha, well, okay.  You apparently have got time for this; mine
just ran out.

Scott