[Sis-csi] Green book thoughts

David Carek David.A.Carek at grc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 19 15:34:13 EDT 2006

 From Lee.Neitzel at EmersonProcess.com, 4/19/2006 10:20 AM Eastern:
> which ultimately leads to cost management. We, in the process control
> industries, do not make our money on protocols. They are a cost to us.
> Therefore, they are carefully crafted to be simple and bundled to keep
> costs low.  As you know, there are significant fixed and variable costs
> associated with design, implementation, testing, and deployment of each
> layer protocol.

Very nicely put - same goes for space flight software.  I developed the
flight and ground software command and control interface for several
shuttle experiments.  We used TCP to the onboard data system (a custom
protocol was used for the air to ground segment - see
http://scp.grc.nasa.gov/siw/presentations/Session_A/A_04_Carek.pdf).
For our needs UDP would have been the way I would have preferred.
Having a connection oriented TCP service added to our development time
and caused us to spend time testing additional failure trees and figure
out the vendor's TCP stack. We also had to add additional record
boundary markers (since TCP is stream oriented from the applications
perspective) on both flight and ground systems.

When dealing with space flight software you want to keep everything as
simple as possible. The simpler it is written the easier it is to verify
- and the more reliable it will be.

Also I'd recommend using your own 32 bit CRC if data integrity is
important.  Never assume you data won't get mucked up somehow - even if
the link providers tell you it will be reliable.

For space applications you want a link layer that is flexible enough to
support multiple data types and protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP/IP, CCSDS
space packet, bit stream, etc.) - then let the functional requirements
of the system drive the selection.

--
   David A. Carek, P.E.
   NASA Glenn Research Center