[Sis-csi] Green book thoughts

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Wed Apr 19 09:44:26 EDT 2006

High utilization of limited contacts is definitely a consideration.
For reliable communications in that environment, one could build
reliability on top of UDP, or use TCP PEPs at either end of the space
link, or use DTN.  Using PEPs allows the end systems to use a standard
model for reliable communications while still enabling full use of the
space link.  DTN is attractive in that the end systems don't have to be
cognizant of the contact schedule.

Your points about CFDP are well taken, and I believe Scott agreed that
CFDP over UDP doesn't do congestion control.  As such I think it would
fall into the category of 'use with caution so as not to melt the
network.'  One benefit of CFDP is that it's designed to be a standard
service for applications, so at least every app wouldn't have to
re-implement it.  I think it shares this with Saratoga.

For right now I would like to settle on an architecture which is
encompassing in what it allows and not get too involved in guidance to
mission designers.  We WILL have to provide that guidance soon, but I
would prefer to make progress with the current document, since we're
not going to get to the degree of specificity for mission design in the
architecture document anyway.  When it comes time to pick the
recommended set of protocols / services for cislunar (starting with the
next set of meetings?) we can figure out how to come to consensus on
the set of recommended protocols / services.

        --keith