[Sis-csi] IP Header Compression

Jason A. Soloff jason.a.soloff at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 30 09:52:07 EDT 2005

Keith / Chris -

To give a lunar perspective, the LRO is being designed with a single
command rate (4kbps).  We have received an action at our peer-review to
include a second, lower rate (1kbps or 2kbps were suggested), but
nothing on the order of a few bps.  As for the human missions, at a
minimum, a spacecraft would have to support a voice loop (10-20kbps or
so) as the crew can always throw switches to "command" and that
bandwidth can be used to command from the ground in the event that the
crew could not respond.  Again, not on the order of the few bps you have
been describing for deep space robotics.

The other thing to consider is that the architecture should support
human missions beyond Cis-lunar space, and again, those will likely
require higher "minimum" rates than robotics.

- Jason

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Jason A. Soloff
Chief Systems Engineer
Exploration Communication & Navigation Systems
Constellation Systems

NASA / Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 567 / B19 / S046
Greenbelt, MD 20771