[Sis-csi] IP Header Compression

Krupiarz, Christopher Christopher.Krupiarz at jhuapl.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:10:34 EDT 2005

I was curious about thoughts as to if and where we would address IP
header compression in the Green Book.  On some our missions (and I think
this is typical at least in deep space), if we have a reset of the
system, the spacecraft may come up in an emergency mode of receiving 10
bps.  Hence, every bit is quite valuable at this point.  With a CCSDS
header, we're looking at 6 bytes (plus a couple of bytes if a secondary
header is used).  If we move to IPv6, this becomes 40.  At 10 bps,
that's an additional uplink time of 25-26 seconds before a command can
be received which is long enough to envision some nightmare scenarios.
Clearly IP header compression would alleviate this concern but I'm not
sure where it fits or if it is needed in this doc (I hope I didn't miss
it somewhere).

Chris