FW: [Sis-csi] Dust impact?

Fred Slane fas1 at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 30 19:02:05 EST 2005

Second try

Fred

Frederick A. Slane
President
Space Infrastructure, Inc.
1219 North 31st Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
(719) 634-3194
freds at spacestandards.com
www.spacestandards.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Slane [mailto:fas1 at adelphia.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:33 PM
To: 'sis-csi at mailman.ccsds.org'
Cc: gary.rod at att.net
Subject: RE: [Sis-csi] Dust impact?

Larry Taylor has imaged lunar dust samples at the sub-5 micron range.
There is every reason to expect dust populations down to the molecular
scale (suggesting a smooth transition in population to small charged
particles - "dusty plasmas").  My analysis of Lunar Laser Ranger data
(1969 -1990, red light) shows significant attenuation as the
retroreflector passes through the terminator. (Google "Lunar Dust
Levitation")  So dust movement is driven by natural phenomena (space
weather) on a periodic cycle.  Certainly astronauts noticed and
commented on the problem.  Jack Schmidt (an Apollo astronaut and
geologist who did go to the Moon) is one of the DUST team members.  In
short: Yes, there is lots of data.  And communications "bounce" is a
potential problem (physics being physics).

Cheers,
Fred

Frederick A. Slane
President