[Sis-csi] Limit of Cislunar domain

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 9 20:35:30 EDT 2005

  I used the Sun/Earth L1/L2 values to give a worst case boundary based
on propagation delay.   Technically they are beyond the Moon's orbit but
they are locations that are already being used (e.g. SOHO, WMAP).  I
included them because their delay is not real bad and you could probably
still hold a voice converstation, run TCP, or do something interactive
over that sort of link.  Once you get beyond them, the next stop is
pretty much Mars and those delays put you in a whole different
category.  10 seconds seemed to be a nice boundary that also fit with
locations being used.

  I didn't worry about the Lunar Lagrange points since they are not that
far from the Moon.  It looks like they are 61,500 Km away from the
Moon.  I was listing delays from an Earth centric view which probably
fits with Cislunar.  I guess the question is whether we want to stick to
purely Cislunar at 2.5 seconds or if we want to stretch to Sun/Earth
L1/L2 which would cover anything out to 10 seconds.

Keith Hogie

  Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov